Tuesday 18 June 2013

Minority Mommy?

Welcome to my first post!

Minority Mommy?  Isn't any blog with the word Mommy probably a majority? ... Ummm, yup, most definitely! And good question, I'll explain.

Last night as I was washing my dishes (that's right... by hand... two hip hip hoorays for me!) my mind was wandering elsewhere.  I was thinking of a post my friend shared about fakebooking.  That is, Facebook or other social media posts in where we obviously pick the best, brightest, and least boring moments of our lives to share.  You know the type.  The pictures of impeccably groomed kids with smiling impeccably dressed family members.  Pictures of couples kissing on their vacation to Hawaii.  Posts about taking just freshly made muffins out of the oven, or plans to make that new healthy quinoa salad with probably 20 odd ingredients that I do not have in my fridge. 

Do I have an onion, feta, and quinoa?  Yes!  Do I have eggplant, zucchini, white balsamic vinegar, and fresh parsley?  No, sadly my fridge is not a grocery store.  I do not live near one and my husband would eye the dish with question even if I did travel the 30 minutes to a grocery store that carries these ingredients.   He's more of a tried and tested kinda recipe guy, in case you were wondering.  He's also like a small child, only in the sense that I have to try and hide the healthy ingredients so he doesn't get all pre-judgey about the food before I serve it.

So back to this fakebooking!  Do I do it?  I sure do have!  However, the reason I was thinking about this topic is because I've wanted to start a blog for a long time now, and for the life of me I can't think about anything that I am really qualified at or that would fit into the major blog topics that people seem to like reading about.  My house is old and I don't have the money to renovate or the energy since it's a rental.  Therefore my DIY ideas are sadly more of a contemplative nature.  I'm not an overally qualified mom- this is my first child and she's only 6 months old.  Therefore I can't tell you how to raise your child.  I don't have a perfect marriage, but I sure do love my man!  I enjoy gardening, but the pictures I took yesterday of it look like something more out of a redneck magazine then Martha Stewart. And my moral compass and interests wouldn't exactly win a majority vote.  (I'll explain some of this later, but don't write me off yet, I promise I'm not a serial killer!)

It got me thinking though, that maybe the majority of things I see online aren't actually the majority at all!  I think that if I were instead to look inside your homes and heads perhaps I would see something all together different.  And don't get me wrong! Nothing is wrong with fakebooking at times because the sugar-coated kids are much more fun to hear about than your kids that have been screaming all day with food smeared all over their faces.  And of course, no one wants to become that person who constantly only posts or blogs negative "woe is me" material.  That just gets depressing!  But maybe we can compromise and start to share a little more of our real selves, and not just the nicely-put-together version either.  When I look online, whether it's blogging, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, I want to do more than just dream.  Sometimes I want to identify.

Therefore I've decided to stop "fakebooking" and instead create a blog where I  try to be authentic.  Maybe it's a minority but I'm me... a sometimes average, sometimes unaverage, 25 year old wife, mom, and friend.

Thanks for reading and I hope you join me in my future post about my most average and least average attributes, as well as a few pictures, I promise! 

I plan on asking you a lot of questions- whether it's for help or just something I've been pondering.  So here is my question of the day: 
Do you see a lot of "fakebooking", and does it annoy you?

And note, here is the recipe I was referring to http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/2012/06/grilled-veggie-quinoa-salad.html#more... I really wasn't making it up!  Looks excellent actually, does anyone want to come over and make it for me, and then make my husband some mac-and-cheese while they're at it?  :)

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading! Hope you don't mind, I posted a link on my blog to yours. I haven't updated mine for quite a while, trying to think of things to say other than just gushing about Brielle :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Leslee, you should link me your blog if you don't mind. Haven't read it before :)

    ReplyDelete